Monday, October 27, 2014
Thursday, October 23, 2014
Everything and everyone adapts with age.
Even this oak found a way to surmount a host of obstacles,
not the least of which are the eroding cliff
it helps to shore up
and the hunk of rock that its root system worked around
for our photographing pleasure.
"My makeup team is nominated
for 'Best Special Effects'."
- Do we need to like our looks to be holistically happy?
- If we accept aging, will we then like our appearance?
- Is attitude subject to the same timeline as aging? Perhaps I, too, will someday like what’s before me in the mirror?
- Is it fair to ask an old person or a fat person to celebrate their body? In other words, how independent are we from the social norms that shape us? And isn’t my aesthetic, formed long ago, still valid even if I no longer reflect my own aesthetic?
Atul Gawande: "Our reverence for independence
takes no account of the reality of what happens in life."
'Live for now'
"The story of aging is the story of our parts."
— Atul Gawande
"The mantra was: live for now."
"We're caught in a transitional phase."
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
The woodworking patriarch loved to spend time on Spirit IIwhich is docked on Lake Champlain.Among the many pieces he made for Spirit II is this table.
Here are three more sculptures (of many) that we discovered on
the trails at the marble quarry.
The marble undies are just one of the items on the clothesline below.
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
This is where I watch the sun come up.
- S’mores ingredients. Check.
- Hat and gloves. Check.
- Running shoes. Check.
- Walking stick. Check.
- Travel mug. Check.